London Days

London Days
London Days

Monday 4 January 2016

New Year, New Beginning!

Hello London & 2016!!!
Yes, I landed in London on New Year's Eve and I welcomed new year from here, from the UK and from the City of London....new year, a new beginning, a new journey has started for me.
@Heathrow Lounge
As you know by now, I am here for a patisserie course at Le Cordon Bleu, I will share my experiences with you throughout this journey of 6 months. It's an intensive course, with classes scheduled from 8am to 9:30pm (yes, you read it right!), aaaaaannnd from Mon to SAT!!! I don't know how I will be able to keep up with the pace of posts, but whenever I get time, I will post all updates of a week at one go, may be. Until today I was in two minds whether I should write a blog or not, but finally I am writing it.
Please note, this schedule is only for intensive courses, Patisserie or Cuisine. The regular 9 months diploma students have classes only 3 days a week.

Well, this is the first time for me in London and weather here is not so good, not at least for me. As it's winter here, it's super cold with winds, all grey and dull sky with no sunlight and it's raining almost everyday! Very few times God Sun shows up only for few 10-20 minutes in the early morning and it darkens by 3:30-4pm :( (Now you can guess, why this site's background picture is so!)
I am struggling hard to keep myself warm from head to toe. I am staying in a shared accommodation in East Ham, an area with many "Desi"s and asians around, many Indian restaurants like Chennai Dosa and Saravaana Bhavan etc around. We actually have a few Chaat stalls as well...so yes I haven't yet started missing India much ;) It took me 4-5 days to settle in the room and getting adjusted to the surroundings.
East Ham underground station
My house lane in East Ham 
The school, Le Cordon Bleu is in central London, nearest station is Holborn and 30 mins by tube from my place. I visited it on weekend before it starts, so I can get an idea of the distance and travel. I started from East Ham and it was pretty much a convenient journey...it reminded me of days in Japan, it's very similar to Japanese rail system, only difference is of the language.
Holborn seemed to be quite busy station, with all working and business people rushing towards their work places. There were many high end restaurants and shops around the station including a Wasabi Sushi Bento restaurant (quickly I took a snap and sent it to hubby dear who is a Sushi lover. He would have been jumped over joy if he was here).
I started walking towards the school, and I could see the Bloomsbury Square Garden within 2 mins....and there I saw the white flag of school in the air, on a red bricked wall just behind the garden.
In another couple of minutes I reached my dream destination! Got myself clicked in front of the school. Orientation & first day at school is on 6th Jan...getting ready for it, feeling nervous...fingers crossed! :)

Finally at the dream destination!
From there, I went on to purchasing the safety shoes we require to buy as part of the uniform (and is not included in the kit provided by the school) to the given shop, Nisbets in Shaftesbury Avenue area. It was 15 mins walk from the school. We need to carry them for the orientation day on Wednesday. 

11 comments:

  1. Amazing work Meenakshi tai and good wishes for your dream course ! Definitely you are an inspiration for many girls out there !! Good luck 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and good wishes dear Sneha! <3 :)

      Delete
  2. Keep writing meenakshi. Wonderful start

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't wait to read your blog!
    Awesome!!
    Let us experience London and patisserie course through your writing!
    All the very best!!
    Looking forward to the next post!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. forgot to add name in above post..It's Smita Kale here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Smita! Hope you are doing great! :)

      Delete
  5. Wow lovely! Even my dream would be to learn from Le Cordon Bleu 😍 Good Good luck :) Do keep us posted with the happenings 😉

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Meenakshi,
    My name is Sandhya and I am planning of doing the Basic Pastry course for 3 months from LCB Paris. I wanted to understand from you on why you chose London instead of Paris and how was your overall experience in LCB London. Also did you do the 6-7weeks intensive course or the Diploma? Thank you in advance for your response as I am still figuring which of the 2 cities I should enrolled in.

    ReplyDelete