London Days

London Days
London Days

Sunday 31 January 2016

Basic Week 4: Basic Pastry Cakes - Gateau & Genoise

Week 4 started with Boulangerie - introduction to breads. It was a very refreshing change for us after a tiresome last week. The aroma of freshly baked bread is so fresh, soothing and tempting. We made 2 types of breads, Irish soda bread loaf and white bread dinner rolls.
I loved this session. Next day I had bread for brekky, lunch and dinner :D

White bread dinner rolls

Irish Soda Bread
After this, we had a mid-term evaluation with our mentor chef. We had no clue about it and how it goes. We had been asked to fill some forms provided in the folder, where we’re supposed to write self-review and our study action plan till date. It was a one-to-one discussion with chef where he tells us about our performance in the term so far and the scores. He also asks if you have any difficulties or concerns regarding the study.
I scored 3.72 out of 5 for 9 recipes I made till date. Chef said you did good so far and advised a couple of things to take care of. He handed over me my report and it was over. I think it’s not so bad not so good!

Next day we learnt basic cakes - Gateau au citron and Madeleines! Umm yum yum! Both were so nice and totally irresistible!
Gateau au citron and Madeleines
Next we had two theory lectures, back to back. First was on Storeroom Dry Goods, Nuts and Spices and the second was on Dairy Products, Fats and Oils. Both were informative. We tasted different varieties of nuts used in patisserie. We made our own butter in the class and tasted it on yummy scones with jam! :)

Then came the Patisserie Cakes! Genoise with raspberry jam and Black Forest Gateau.
This was my first time of making a Genoise. The technique of making sponge, buttercream was pretty interesting and new to me…and even the covering of cakes! To my surprise, people don’t use turn-tables to decorate cakes here in the school :O. Managed to cover it with BC somehow!
As you all can guess, I did a decent job even without the turn-table and chef was impressed by it but I messed the chocolate piping because the chocolate was a bit set when I poured it in my bag and didn’t pay attention to it and went on with piping. Anyways, overall it was not bad. The cake was very yummy!
Genoise a la Confiture de Framboises
Gateau Foret Noir (Black Forest Gateau)
Even the black forest gateau making was a different experience all together.

Hah! End of another happening week and completion of ONE Month in the UK/London! :)

Now, look forward to the one and only day I get as weekend, Sunday! (singing childhood time song in my head, “Divas udyacha sawadicha, Raviwar mazya awadicha…”)

5 comments: